Sunday, March 2, 2014

Foreigner- Capitol Theater, NY 2/22/14

Foreigner's US tour made a stop at the sold out Capitol Theater in Port Chester NY.

It still amazes me after going to 300+ concerts in my life I still had never seen legendary rock bands like Foreigner & Cheap Trick. I was recently able to see and shoot both of these bands in a span of 8 days.

Foreigner owned the sold out crowd the minute they hit the stage. The one thing I noticed immediately was the absence of the bands founder, Mick Jones. My disappointment quickly changed at the halfway point of the show. During the band introductions, Mick appeared on stage and performed the rest of the show. Kelly Hansen mentioned Mick has had minor health issues but was getting better everyday and would be returning to the band full time.

Foreigner currently has a lot of veteran musicians on stage and I don't think there is a better front man for the band then Kelly Hanson. He is an amazing vocalist with one of a kind stage presence. It's hard to believe but he has been fronting Foreigner for 9 years. Jeff Pilson has also been playing bass in Foreigner for 10 years now. Dokken was one of my favorite bands growing up and it was good to see Jeff again.

The band had the Port Chester, NY high school chorus come on stage to help sing "I Want To Know What Love Is". It really shows that they give back to kids that are interested in music.

If you miss Foreigner on this current US run, they will be back this summer with Styx on "The Soundtrack Of Summer Tour".

Shooting and gear info: I never shot the Capitol Theater before but I will be coming back for sure. Great old school venue that is also photographer friendly. I shot the first 3 songs from the pit and a handful of shots from the crowd & balcony. I shot the show with my Canon 70D and Canon 18-135. I did not use my 24-70 because I wanted to go wide and the lighting was great, so it was the right decision.
Click on any picture to expand.


























Set list: See picture above

No comments:

Post a Comment